To be totally honest, if your post title includes the words “Wedding Wednesday,” I’m usually out. But for some reason (probably because I love her blog), I read Joelle’s Wedding Wednesday post on the first thing you need to do when planning a wedding. And that is prioritize. You know what? I don’t think planning for your blog is that different from planning a wedding (or, really, anything in life).
I had just been sorting through the responses to my Blogkeeping survey from last month when I came across the post, and it just clicked. The simple answer to your blogging struggles? Prioritize. Yes, there are a million different things you can do for your blog, and that’s one of the things that makes blogging so great. But it’s also what makes it so overwhelming. So take a moment, and realize that you can’t do everything, and that’s ok. Do the things that are important to you.
How do you know what’s important? Write a mission statement for your blog, and set a few goals. It doesn’t have to be perfect — just take a minute to write down why you want to blog and what you want to get out of it at this moment, and go from there. You can, and probably will, change it later. And guess what? The blogging world is made for change, and even embraces it. There is so much going on out there that even a significant mistake will be quickly forgotten, and perhaps even go completely unnoticed.
I’m excited to explore the topics you mentioned in the survey in the weeks to come (and if you didn’t get to participate, feel free to send a question on my contact page!), but with Alt Summit next week, and recaps the following week, it will be a couple of weeks before the next Blogkeeping post. So I wanted to leave you with a few of my favorite blogging resources!
- Mini Alt Week and Blog Tip of the Day series from Vmac+Cheese
- Blogging Resolutions and Blogging 2.0 from Stripes & Sequins
- Alt 2012 Recap (especially the photo crediting section) from Meg Biram (see also: my contributor posts on what you need to know before you hit publish and about images)
- Secret Ingredients 01, 02, 03, and 04 from DesignLoveFest
- IFB is a great resource, for fashion and non-fashion bloggers alike.
- BlogBrunch is a great monthly Twitter meetup, and they always post recaps of the discussions.
- I can’t recommend Blog, Inc. and Blogging Your Way to the Front Row enough. Creative, Inc. for bonus points if you want to turn your blog into a creative business.
What are your favorite blogging resources?